Friday, February 15, 2008

Monkey Mischief

Monkeys and Shimla (the place where I live) are like synonyms. And the mess that is created by these mischievous mammals becomes apparent, the moment you enter Shimla. There are huge hoardings on the highway (issued in public interest), warning people to stay away from them and also not to feed them. But as usual, tourists ignore these cautionary statements and the results we are suffering. I still remember the first incident of my life when I came face-to-face with these little devils. I was in standard 2 and I was waiting outside my father’s office for him. Just then a huge monkey came, caught my skirt with his mouth and started moving in the opposite direction of the road. I was so terrified for first 30 seconds that I wasn’t even able to shout, and when I did, an uncle came for my rescue. THANK GOD! I was finally saved from the beast and I won’t lie if I tell you that I still dread them, small or big, in all sizes! Women are their main target. They will not allow you to eat anything alone, you can’t take eatables (even packed) to your home if they have an idea about what you are carrying, you will find your garbage bin tumbled down every morning, they love playing with the clothes you would hang outside your home to dry (you may even find them ten blocks after from your place!). So, this goes to all people who visit our “Queen of Hills”, PLEASE DON’T feed them, it might me a momentary fun for you, but their confidence is boosted because of this and they are creating too much nuisance, which is intolerable. So, please do understand!

(Photo credits: Google)

No comments: